Kang & Company takes an active role in the advancement of the legal profession and increasing access to justice.
Pro-Bono work includes:
- 1994-1998- Narindar Kang appointed, reappointed, and served as Member of the Systemic Bias Subcommittee, Multiculturalism Committee, Law Society of British Columbia, under the leadership of the late Benjamin B. Trevino, Q.C.
- 2000-2002- Narindar Kang elected and served on the Canadian Bar Association Executive Provincial Council (B.C.) for a three-year term by lawyer colleagues .
- Narindar Kang appointed by the Hon. Premier of B.C. Christy Clark in Dec. 2011 to the Immigration Task Force, with Report submitted March 2012 to the Ministry of Jobs, Tourism, and Innovation.
- Narindar Kang and Jasdeep Mattoo provided written submissions and spoke to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration on how Canada can best support vulnerable groups in inaccessible regions in July 2016.
- Narindar Kang and Jasdeep Mattoo Invited to speak to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration in Ottawa respecting Bill C-24 in 2014.
- 1994 – 1996 – Narindar Kang mentor for the Greater Vancouver Law Students Legal Advice Society; provided service to the Law Students’ Legal Advice Program and the residents of the Vancouver West End in providing volunteer supervision to the Gordon House Clinic.
- 1994 – Kang and Company a Career Education Programs presenter at Surrey and Vancouver School District.
- 1996 – Narindar Kang received recognition for pro-bono legal services jointly from the Sikh Societies of the Lower Mainland and the Human Rights Committee constituted by them.
- Narindar Kang is a roster Lawyer and Supporter of the Access Pro-Bono Society of BC since 2007. Provide pro-bono immigration and refugee law services.
- Kang and Company sponsors the Inland Refugee Society of British Columbia. Provided lodging and legal advice for recent arrival inland refugee claimants from various countries (including claimants arriving from the United States).
- Ocean Lady Legal Consortium (October 18, 2009-2011)- Provided pro-bono legal assistance, and helped organize legal team, for detention review processes and procedures at the Immigration Division. Also provided pro-bono legal representation on initiating refugee claims for Tamil asylum seekers who arrived on the Ocean Lady ship off Canada’s Pacific Coast in 2009. See, for example: http://www.ctvnews.ca/ up-to-50-tamil-migrants-to-be-released-lawyer-says-1.468149.
- Pro-Bono Legal Services to Congregation Members of various religious organizations in the Lower Mainland (1992-present); for example, provided pro-bono legal services to Sikh Temple located in Merritt, B.C. at request of the Mayor of Merritt, B.C.
- Support of the Vancouver Association for the Survivors of Torture (VAST).
- Ajeet has served on the board of directors of CORSA, a non-profit organization assisting South Asian youth.
- Ajeet is a former longtime Governor of Law Foundation of British Columbia, an organization that funds programs and projects throughout B.C. that benefit the public in the following areas: legal education, legal research, legal aid, law reform, and law libraries.
Teaching and Continuing Education
- All lawyers at Kang and Company maintain their professional development annually through Continuing Professional Development program.
- Narindar S. Kang QC has been invited to prepare a course syllabus for International Immigration and Refugee Law (LL.M level) in order to joint the Faculty of Law at Bond University- Gold Coast, Australia.
- Narindar S. Kang Stanford University – Instructor (Part-Time) 1986-1987, School of Earth Sciences, Palo Alto, California; Prepared and instructed exploration classes. Led discussions on seismic exploration and applications.
- Narindar S. Kang presented ‘Practice at the IAD Workshop’ at the National Immigration Law Conference of the Canadian Bar Association (April 7-9 2016).
- Narindar S. Kang presented CLE Paper entitled: “We Are Family: Family Class Immigration” at Immigration Law For The Non-Specialist, June 12, 1998.
- Narindar S. Kang presented papers at the Commonwealth Bar Association conferences held in Vancouver in 1996 and in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 1999.
- Narindar S. Kang attended annual training conferences for Members and Adjudicators of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada. (2002-2007).